27 April 2008

Lizzie, WIP part 4



I've done some more work on my portrait of my niece, Lizzie. It's coming along quite nicely, though I'm beginning to wish that she had shorter hair! There's something not quite right with the likeness, though I just don't seem to be able to put my finger on what it is. It's getting closer, though!

Meanwhile, I'm feeling rather stiff today. I foolishly allowed myself to be talked in to entering a 10km (6 mile) "fun run" that is raising money form Muscular Dystrophy. Given that the last time I ran in any sort of race was my school sports day when I ran the 800m (a distance that I remember thinking at the time was unreasonably long!), I thought I'd better get in some practice. My big fear (apart from doing something really silly like tripping over a kerb) is being overtaken by someone dressed as a slice of toast. So, I went for a five mile run this morning, which I did in 48 minutes 33 seconds. Since I've never run five miles before, I guess this counts as a personal best, or PB as my running friends all say! Three more weeks before the actual event...

4 comments:

Jeanette Jobson said...

Lovely portrait work Dave. You're doing well with all that hair and I'm sure she'll love it when its done.

As for the running, excellent on a 5 miler!! But go slow or you'll do yourself harm. If you have an iPod you can download a running program that will build you up slowly over 8 weeks, telling you when to run and walk. Its a good program but the music isn't great.

Robyn Sinclair said...

Your portrait is evolving beautifully, Dave. As far as likeness goes, It's the eyes I always have trouble with - I end up doing them again and again. Anita is very good at picking what needs correcting. Maybe if she had a look at the drawing alongside the photograph she could help.

I'm very impressed with a 5 mile run from scratch! I like the sound of Jeanette's iPod program - I wonder if they have one with fast walking and slow walking. I'm no runner!

caseytoussaint said...

It's tough to get a likeness - it all hangs on such small differences. That said, this is looking very good - I'm sure you're getting close.

Dave said...

Thanks for the comments and the running tips. Unfortunately, I don't have 8 weeks to prepare, the race is on 18 May, but fortunately I don't really have any choice other than to go slow!